|North African Couscous Paella - delicious!|
2 tbsp oilive oil
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
4 scallions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
pinch of cayenne
2 cups hot water
1 package spiced dry tofu, cut in to 1/2 inch cubes (you can find this at the Asian supermarket- or just use extra firm tofu, well drained and pressed)
1 cup fresh or frozen green peas (I used frozen)
1 cup-quick cooking couscous (I used whole grain couscous)
1 tbsp margarine or butter (I used Smart Balance)
salt and ground pepper to taste
toasted slivered almonds (optional)
chopped parsley (optional - I didn't use because we didn't have any)
lemon wedges (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan with deep sides. Add peppers, scallions, garlic, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne and saute on medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in hot water.
- Add tofu and cook for another 3 - 4 minutes, until it is heated through.
- Stir in the peas and cook for another minute.
- Mix in the couscous and margarine or butter.
- Cover and remove from the heat, let stand for 5 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and, using a fork, stir thoroughly to fluff up the couscous to break up any lumps.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with toasted almonds and lemon wedges (and parsley if you want to use it)
- If you have some sriracha sauce laying around and want a little more spice, a squeeze or two of it mixed in is so tasty!
Calories: 264 Fat: 7.2g Protein: 13g Sodium: 128mg Carbohydrates: 36.8g