Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Hello internet!

Thanks for visiting!

I suppose I should start out with explaining the purpose behind this blog.  I am 26 and an aspiring Registered Dietitian (RD for short) with a not-so-helpful degree in Theater.  I am currently in the throws of a very interesting career change and thought it would be fun to write about my experiences as I go through this major life change.  I will share interesting stories, nutrition information, and some healthy, delicious recipes.

The process by which one becomes an RD is a challenging, and somewhat arduous one.  The first step is to complete a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) which can either be a Bachelors or Masters Degree program accredited by the American Dietetics Association and the Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education (ADA and CADE respectively--there sure are a lot of abbreviations to learn...).  Then you have to complete an accredited Dietetic Internship.  These internship programs last roughly one year and are very competitive to get in to; there is only about a 50% acceptance rate.

It is very important that one not only excels in their DPD courses but also be very active in the dietetics community throughout their education.  Internships with RDs, establishing a relationship with a mentor, volunteering within the community, and taking entrepreneurial initiative make someone a lot more desirable to potential DI selection committees.  

After the internship you can take the Registration Exam and finally become an RD.

So...here's what I have so far:
  • Bachelor of Arts in Theater Arts with a minor in Film Studies (virtually useless for this career, by the way)
  • Intro to Nutrition course which I took as an elective during my first time in college (I got an A, so there's a start...)
  • A lot of drive and ambition
And here's my plan:
  • Take basic science courses needed for DPD at Montgomery College here in Rockville, MD.  I start Chem 101 and Bio 101 this semester.
  • Transfer to University of Maryland in the Spring of 2013 to finish DPD.
  • Work part-time (or full-time while taking evening courses) in an administrative role of some sort at a nutrition related business.  This will allow me to get my foot in the door and start learning from professionals already in the field.
  • Volunteer as much as I can while working and going to school.  Need to make myself desirable!
  • Write this blog to keep myself motivated.   
Enough rambling for now.  We will get to know each other more as I write, and I hope you enjoy what I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment